We are very excited to announce that Bonnie’s new book, Basic Neurocellular Patterns: Exploring Developmental Movement, is available for preorder!
The culmination of 55 years of research and 40 years of writing, this experiential textbook addresses human movement and its significance to our development and well-being. Included in its 430 pages are more than 400 illustrations and 80 explorations.
The first 150 people to pre-order the book or book/DVD package will receive a signed copy!
Get 20% off when you order the BNP book and DVD package.
Preorders will be be available from July 30th – August 12th. All BNP preorders will be mailed out the week of August 13th.
Basic Neurocellular Patterns: Exploring Developmental Movement
The Basic Neurocellular Patterns (BNP) were developed by Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen as an integral part of the Body-Mind Centering® approach to somatic movement education. The Basic Neurocellular Patterns (BNP) form the underlying words and phrases in the language of human movement. The BNP have a global influence on our physical, perceptual, emotional, and cognitive functioning. They shape how we bond, defend, learn, organize, and sequence information, and how we relate to ourselves, others, and the world. Done in sequences, they can also form the basis for a deep and ongoing personal movement practice.
Although the BNP normally emerge and ideally integrate throughout infancy, revisiting these patterns and exploring them as adults can be eye-opening, transformational, and life changing. With this book as a guide, Bonnie invites you to directly experience, embody, and integrate your own developmental movement patterns. In doing so, you can come to know and use this work in deep and meaningful ways with yourself and with others.
Basic Neurocellular Patterns: Exploring Developmental Movement includes the following:
- Parallels between animal movement and infant developmental movement.
- Progression of development from internal movement to external movement and locomotion.
- Exquisite drawings to help you get a feeling for the patterns.
- Step-by-step exercises to guide your exploration of the patterns.
- How to use the vertebrate patterns as a framework for your personal movement practice.
- Applications to yoga, dance, sports, music, vision, touch, teaching, aging, psychophysical processing, meditation, and prayer.
Practicing the Basic Neurocellular Patterns
This video contains archived footage of Bonnie classroom teaching in 1987 and in a studio in 1996 and 2004.
This video on the BNP is designed to accompany Bonnie’s book, Basic Neurocellular Patterns: Exploring Developmental Movement. It can also be useful for people who have studied the BNP:
- in a course at a School for Body-Mind Centering® licensed training program
- in a workshop with Bonnie
- in classes, workshop, or sessions with qualified Body-Mind Centering® professionals
- in other settings
It contains more than three hours of instruction covering:
- prevertebrate and vertebrate patterns
- step-by-step instruction
- demonstration of the Basic Neurological Patterns
- key points for learning and teaching the patterns
- rare classroom footage of Bonnie teaching